Friday, June 14, 2013

the big switch

Dear friends, family, acquaintances and strangers (and Larry the toll booth operator)

Today, June 14th, 2013, I made a decision to change my transplant health care from Lahey Clinic to Mass General Hospital. Although the people at Lahey could not have been kinder to me, I was less than happy with their ultimate care. There were a few incidences where they sorta dropped the ball a bit and that was a few too many for me. I have a serious health issue and I need a serious team... I need the best possible team on my side.

This decision like all that I make relative to my kidney disease was not an easy one to make. I wasn't sure that I wanted to ask everyone who already volunteered to have to start the process all over again. But in the end this is about the best possible care I can receive.

If you are still interested in volunteering to donate a kidney on my behalf please call  617-643-7193 and ask for Jobanna. If you've already been turned down by Lahey that's not a reason to not try again, MGH has their own guidelines and though in some ways they'll be tougher they are also a cutting edge facility and some of what I've heard about the things they're doing are blowing me away. They actually have been involved in a 30 pair match... imagine 30 different kidneys being transplanted around the country at one time... fricken amazing.

I know this is a pain in the butt... but its important to me that I receive the greatest care possible. Thank you for your support and for volunteering to give a little bit of you to help extend my life.

My name is Bil... and I have great friends for doing this for me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bil,
    I will resubmit my application to Mass Gen'l on your behalf. I really hope that I will be a match, and get you back to health and loving family fun times. Hang in there brother...good things are coming your way!
    Sending love,
    MB XO

    ReplyDelete