Saturday, July 20, 2013

Bump in the road

The first fistula session went pretty well. Only one relatively small needle used in the arm. It really didn't hurt at all so my nervousness was unwarranted. I need three consecutive successful uses of my fistula with two needles before I can have the catheter removed.

My second fistula session didn't go quite as well as the first. The first needle went in pretty much the same as the first session... but the second needle missed its mark. Initially this led to the need to "adjust" it and that was less than fun. Then as they started to dialyze my blood the machine kept beeping. Something wasn't right. They kept trying to adjust the position of that needle and my arm to get a better result. Nothing worked. Then the technician touch my arm and asked me if that hurt? It did and I said yes. Then she started moving quickly and not speaking at all. She just went into serious mode and I could tell something wasn't right although I could only just sit there and wait to see what was going down. I knew better than to ask.. I was better off being dumb.

Within three to four minutes it was all over. I was no longer being dialyzed via the needles... but through my catheter instead. The needles were still there and an ice pack was resting over my arm and the technician said... "Let me explain what happened".

Basically a lump started to form adjacent to the second needle and the technician recognized this as some kind of problem and so she made the command decision to stop the process via the needles and get ice on it as soon as possible to prevent the lump from getting worse and to reduce the bruising that would follow.

So we'll try again on Monday and see how it goes. Meanwhile I've got this lovely bruised lump in my arm that I need to keep icing through the day.




2 comments:

  1. Kidney Stones usually cause symptoms when these become obstructive which means that these Kidney Stone are blocking the passage of urine. Block may be partial or complete.

    ReplyDelete