Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ordinary

There isn't a barrage of excitement in my world because of my recent need for new kidney. I have a few more Dr. appointments than the average Joe and I try to avoid certain foods in my diet. I try not to forget to take my medication and I'm trying to get in the habit of tracking my blood pressure from home instead of waiting for doctor visits. I constantly acknowledge my lack of anything resembling exercise but keep telling myself I'm going to change that (but I know I'm just lying to myself because I'm a lazy bleep).

Life... goes on. The mundane world I live in continues as if nothing is all that different. If all goes well that's actually how it will be even after the kidney transplant or throughout any period of dialysis. I like simple. I like uncomplicated. I like naps when I can afford to squeeze one in. I prefer to spend holidays at home or at least with my small crew and not out at someone's home with 27 other people all gathered around the table feasting on the celebratory meal.

I still do things that piss off my wife... and she still can't stand me about as often as she seems to like me. I still try to help Annie learn to ride her bike without training wheels. I still see Charly on Sundays... when he's not too busy making plans with his friends or his girl friend... they seem to come first more and more these days. I still barely see my daughter Amber, who lives on her own in New Hampshire and has a crazy world of her own going on.

I'll try to garden this summer... recovery pending. I hope to find time for a hike or two. I look forward to my buddy Kyle returning to the area after spending a year traveling the world (I'm so jealous). And maybe I'll even be able to convince Meg to try camping again (we got her to go last year and she survived it despite the cold and the rain).

It's just another day... that's what most days are for me... just another day. There's an article today in our local paper... if you want to read it you can find it here:

http://www.newburyportnews.com/local/x210922218/Dreaming-of-a-donor

My name is Bil... and I have kidney disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment